As a small business owner, you know that every moment in a day counts. Balancing employees, clients, and day-to-day work tasks with family and after work events can be both stressful and draining. But taking the time to master a few time management techniques will help. Below are four tips for getting the most out of your time.
1. Prioritize: Setting a schedule and list of tasks may seem simple, but sticking to it is not—just because you’re busy, doesn’t mean you’re working efficiently. When putting together your to-do list, take a minute to consider at what point during the day you’re most productive. If in the morning, schedule your most difficult tasks for first thing when you get to the office and your more relaxed duties for the afternoon.
2. Turn off your email: It’s easy to get distracted by the dinging of your email or the buzzing of your phone. But what most of us have forgotten are the advantages of focusing exclusively on one task as opposed to multi-tasking. Try turning off your email alerts for an hour to focus solely on the task at hand, and you’ll be surprised how much more efficiently you’ll work.
3. Learn to delegate: Being a small business owner, you may worry that some tasks won’t be done correctly if you pass them on to others. Learn to trust your employees to do their jobs, and try not to micromanage, which can be a time-suck for both of you. Delegate routine tasks such as inventory or monthly status reports to your employees and focus on what you do best.
4. Consider outsourcing: While delegating work to your employees is important, there will be some tasks that neither you nor your employees excel at. These are tasks such as payroll and marketing that you should consider outsourcing to professionals. Telhio Credit Union offers many services that can assist small businesses in better managing their time such as:
- • Payroll services
- • Email marketing
- • Credit and debit card processing
Telhio Credit Union is here to help your small business succeed. Contact a Telhio business lender representative today at 614-221-3233, option 6 to learn more about their business services and products to help you manage and grow your business, such as loans and lines of credit.
Telhio Credit Union is open to everyone who lives, works, worships or attends school within Franklin County and surrounding communities. Founded in 1934, originally as the credit union for the Columbus Telephone Co., Telhio is a not-for-profit financial cooperative where its members are also its owners. Driven by its philosophy that members come first, Telhio is committed to the highest standards of responsibility and conduct. Telhio offers a variety of innovative programs, services and products to support its members’ financial needs. Telhio offers six branching offices throughout central Ohio and nearly 4,000 shared branching locations nationwide. Federally insured by NCUA. Additional coverage up to $250,000 provided by Excess Share Insurance Corporation, a licensed insurance company.