The Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland Chapters of The Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) announced today the winners of their annual Ohio’s Best Journalism Contest, which The Metropreneur received two second place awards. This year’s competition — which recognizes work published in 2015 — was the first year The Metropreneur entered content. A total of 652 entries were submitted to the contest from all across the state of Ohio.
The second place awards received by The Metropreneur include:
- Best Specialized Journalism Site
- Best Business/Tech Story – Digital Media – Columbus Crowdfunding Campaigns See Marginal Success by Susan Post
The Metropreneur sister-site Columbus Underground was also recognized with six first place awards and one second place award.
The first place awards received under Columbus Underground include:
- Best of Show – Digital Media – Best General News Site – ColumbusUnderground.com
- Best Arts/Entertainment Story – Digital Media – Write Here: Graffiti Takes Center Stage by Jeff Regensburger
- Best Medical/Science Story – Digital Media – Researchers Just Found the Most Dangerous Shipwreck in Lake Erie by Jesse Bethea
- Best Photography – Digital Media – Restaurant Review: Brassica – Photos by Lillian Dent
- Best Feature Writing – Freelance Digital Media – Black and Outside in Columbus by Jesse Bethea
- Best News Writing – Freelance Digital Media – Somalis in Columbus Want to Organize More Political Power by Jesse Bethea
The second place award received under Columbus Underground includes:
- Best of Show – Freelance Digital Media – PARCC Standardized Test Series by Miriam Bowers Abbott
All submissions are judged by a group external to Ohio. This year the Long Island Press Club decided the outcomes. The winners will be celebrated at an upcoming luncheon on Saturday, August 27 at The Boat House at Confluence Park.
For more information on the Ohio SPJ Awards, visit www.ohiospjawards.org.